Physical Education & Health
1849 Central Dr. Bedford, TX 76022 | PH: 817.399.2018 | FX: 817.354.3307
Mission: The Department of Educational Support Services, which includes Physical Education and Health, will support and assist the Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD staff in promoting a healthy lifestyle in a nurturing environment by providing professional development training and resources that enhance a child's optimal learning capabilities for academic achievement success.
- Grades K-5: participate in physical activity 135 minutes per week
- Grade 6: participates in physical activity at least 225 minutes every two weeks for two semesters
- Grade 7: particpates in daily physical activity for at least 30 minutes for two semesters
- Grades 3-12: participates in Fitnessgram Assessments. Parents may request Fitnessgram results. In grades 3-6, the Fitnessgram results are sent out at the end of the school year.
- The curriculum is based on the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, as well as, the National Standards and the TAHPERD (Texas Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance) Physical Education Framework.
- The on-line curriculum is structured, sequential and age-appropriate.
- In grades K-9, health is integrated into the science and physical education classes. The nurses, counselors and child nutrition department are also part of the delivery for the health TEKS.
- In grades K-6, health power point presentations are shown via the televisions during lunch in the cafeterias on a regular basis.
- In grades 10-12, students are required to complete 1/2 semester of health as part of their graduation requirement.
- Grades K-5, the curriculum includes communicable diseases.
- Grades 6, 8 and HS, the curriculum has a communicable diseases unit that including STD's .
- Approximately two weeks prior to the communicable disease curriculum being taught, a letter will be sent home to parents notifying them of the upcoming lesson. A parent may opt for their child not to participate in the communicable diseases including STD lessons.
The Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD meets state compliance regulations.