Elementary Schools of Choice Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for 2022-2023 School Year
Frequently Asked Questions About Elementary Schools of Choice Application, 2022-2023 School Year
1. Who is eligible to apply for a Schools of Choice program?
Any eligible student may apply to the following designated Schools of Choice programs (in or out of district). Please review the program specific Application and Lottery Process Document.
Elementary Schools of Choice:
- Spanish Immersion - Online application and lottery for all students entering Grade 1 only
- Suzuki Strings - Online application and lottery for all students entering Grades K-6
- World Languages - Online application and lottery for all students entering Grades 1-6
2. How do I apply to a Schools of Choice program for my student?
You may complete the appropriate Elementary Schools of Choice application at www.hebisd.edu/transfers.
You may select to participate in the lottery for up to three programs.
If you accept a seat in ANY selected program, your student will drop from the waitlist for any other program. For example, if you accept an offered seat in your Third Choice, your student will drop from the waitlist for all other programs.
If you want to apply for an Intradistrict transfer (in the event you are wait listed for a Schools of Choice program), you must complete the Elementary District Transfer Application in addition to your Elementary Schools of Choice Application(s) during the transfer window.
3. When can I apply for a Schools of Choice Program?
The online application/transfer window is open from January 6, 2022 thru March 4, 2022.
4. What is the process the District uses to determine the result of my request for a transfer?
If there are more applicants than openings, a lottery takes place to determine student placement. Please review the program specific Application and Lottery Process Document.
5. How will I know the result of my Schools of Choice application?
Lottery results are emailed on April 19, 2022.
6. What happens to my Schools of Choice transfer if I exit the program?
Exiting a Schools of Choice program for any reason will initiate administrative procedures to return your child back to their school of residence along with any affected siblings.
7. What happens to my Schools of Choice transfer if I move outside the of HEB ISD district boundaries?
A resident student actively enrolled in a Schools of Choice program, who moves out of the District during the school year may be permitted to continue at the current campus, in the current program. An HEB ISD Transfer Application will need to be completed. Please contact your student’s school office for assistance.
Students living OUT-OF-DISTRICT must apply for their transfer annually during the transfer window.
8. Is bus transportation provided?
No. The District does not provide transportation for a student attending a school outside his or her attendance zone.
9. What happens after 6th grade?
To continue Schools of Choice (SOC) opportunities in junior high, you must apply to continue studies in a corresponding junior high school program during the transfer window of the student’s 6th grade year.
Example: Elementary SOC Program corresponds to Corresponding Secondary SOC Program at Secondary SOC Campus
- Spanish Immersion corresponds to Advanced Spanish at Bedford JH/Harwood JH
- Suzuki Strings corresponds to Orchestra at Central JH
- World Languages corresponds to World Languages at Central JH
** If a transfer student violates the district’s rules and regulations, found in the Student Code of Conduct and the Campus Handbook, the district may take that conduct into account in approving a transfer for the following school year.