Summer Learning Opportunities 2020 for Advanced Academics
The 2019-2020 school year has brought about many changes in the way we “do school.” A continuation of these changes is HEB’s approach to 2020 summer assignments. As a district, we realize that many of our students and their families have encountered difficulties never seen before, and we recognize this in what are requiring our Advanced Academics students to do over the summer.
You will notice a name change from “Summer Assignments” to “Summer Learning Opportunities.” The Advanced Academics teachers across the district have considered what would be most helpful for students to do over the summer and have collaborated on these Summer Learning Opportunities.
- Some of these activities are part of the curriculum and will be graded at some point in the school year, but teachers will not expect them to necessarily be completed at the start of the course. Students who complete these activities over the summer will be getting ahead, which can be very helpful during a busy school year.
- Some activities, such as suggestions to watch certain videos on topics to be covered, have value because they build background knowledge for the students.
In all cases, know that teachers will not be taking grades at the beginning of the year for summer learning opportunities, nor will they be giving extra credit for them.
As a district, our hope is that our students never stop being curious and never stop learning. Advanced Academics students in particular should do all that they can to enrich their academic lives and to prepare themselves for the opportunities that result from pursuing the most rigorous courses of study available to them. At the same time, we understand that the summer of 2020 poses challenges that may limit, to varying degrees, this preparation. We trust that our students will make good choices: if she can play Animal Crossing, she can watch an educational video assigned by her teacher! Joking aside, we expect our Advanced Academics students to make the best use of their time possible under their individual circumstances.
An important investment of time is reading, especially for those grade levels without a novel assignment this summer. We encourage our students to choose books that appeal to their interests. HEB Reads is open to readers of all ages!
If you have any questions about the summer learning opportunities, you may ask the teacher of the course if a name is provided in the document, or you may contact me at CherylHarris@hebisd.edu.
Coordinator of Advanced Academics
Links to Summer Learning Opportunities
- AP Art History Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP Chemistry Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP English Language and AP/GT III BHS Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP English Literature BHS Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP Studio Art, Art 3, and Art 4 Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP US History THS Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP World History BHS Summer Learning Opportunity
- AP World History THS Summer Learning Opportunity
- IB Biology 11th Grade BHS Summer Learning Opportunity
- IB Chemistry Summer Learning Opportunity
- IB English BHS Summer Learning Opportunity
- IB SL and HL Art Summer Learning Opportunity
- Pre-AP US History 8th Grade Summer Learning Opportunity
- Pre-AP/IB English 6th Grade Summer Learning Opportunity
- Pre-AP/IB World Geography and AP Human Geography Summer Learning Opportunity
- Pre-AP/IB/GT English II BHS Summer Learning Opportunity