COVID-19 Example Letter - "Not a Close Contact"
This is the letter each HEB ISD school sends after a person with COVID-19 may have been present at the school. If you receive a letter like this one, please refer to that communication for the date the letter was sent and the name of the school.
Dear [school] parents:
One or more cases of COVID-19 have been identified in connection with [school]. Upon receiving this information, HEB ISD staff immediately followed our planned safety processes. This includes:
- Investigated using a process similar to "contact tracing"
- Communicated with anyone who may have been in close contact with a person with COVID-19.
- Followed recommendations and requirements from Tarrant County Public Health (TCPH).
If your student has been on campus at [school], he or she may have been at the school at the same time as someone who may have been capable of transmission. Our school administrators or nurses have already called or notified parents of any student who may have been a close contact. If you have not received that notification, your student is NOT a close contact of the person(s) with COVID-19.
For people who have not been in close contact with a person infected with COVID-19, TCPH suggests these simple steps:
- Monitor daily for ANY symptoms of COVID-19. These symptoms include: fever, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, loss of sense of taste or smell, cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing. Intensity of symptoms can vary. Some people experience no symptoms or very mild symptoms, while others may become very ill.
- If you have or develop symptoms of COVID-19:
- Isolate immediately and contact your medical provider. If a person tests positive or has symptoms, all members of their household need to quarantine. If you need to be tested, please go to Tarrant County’s website to schedule an appointment for drive-thru testing: https://covidtesting.tarrantcounty.com
- If a person develops trouble breathing, shortness of breath, chest pain, blue lips or face, severe abdominal pain, new confusion, inability to wake up, or worsening COVID-19 symptoms, seek emergency medical care immediately or call 911.
- Contact the school’s front office. The person with symptoms of COVID-19 should not go to school or work unless cleared by a medical provider or public health official, or until you have met the CDC criteria to return as outlined by an HEB ISD nurse.
This self-monitoring is in addition to the normal precautions everyone should take to prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as social distancing, frequent hand washing, and wearing a mask or face covering.
If you have questions about COVID-19 or testing, please contact the Tarrant County Public Health hotline number at 817-248-6299 or your school nurse.
It takes all of us to stop the spread and keep HEB ISD staff, students, and families healthy!