Overview / History
Harwood Junior High School's mission is to partner with parents and the community to create a positive, safe environment where all students are empowered to excel.
Part of the Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District, Harwood Junior High is located in north Bedford. Current enrollment is just under 1,000 seventh, eighth and ninth grade students with a professional staff of 80. Harwood Junior High boasts a long history of excellence since first opening its doors in 1972.
Under the leadership of Dr. Toby Givens, Harwood Junior High has not only continued but improved upon its rich history. Among the many distinctions Harwood has earned since Dr. Givens became Principal in 2008 are:
- Texas School to Watch (Only one of 6 middle schools in the entire state of Texas to receive this distinction from Texas Schools to Watch in 2017)
- Texas Honor Roll School (Recognized for academic achievement in a high-poverty school. Harwood outperformed most schools with similar demographics and earned this award three consecutive years: 2015, 2016 & 2017)
- Just for Kids Award from the National Center for Educational Achievement
- HEB-ISD Campus Attendance Awards
- HEB-ISD Gold Performance Acknowledgements (academic awards)
- HEB-ISD Book Swap Champion (award for helping promote literacy)
- VIPS (Volunteers in Public Schools) Crystal Apple Award for having the most Adopt-A- School community business partners
- VIPS Golden Apple Award for parent and community volunteer hours served
In addition to earning both Recognized and Exemplary status under Texas Education Agency’s old system, Harwood has received many Lone Star Achievement Awards for academic excellence. As recently as the 2017-2018 school year, TEA awarded Harwood with 7 out of a possible 7 separate distinctions on its Texas Academic Performance Report, marking the third consecutive year that Harwood achieved the honor for:
- Academic Achievement Distinction in Reading/English Language Arts
- Academic Achievement Distinction in Math
- Academic Achievement Distinction in Science
- Academic Achievement Distinction in Social Studies
- Top 25 percent of all Texas schools in Student Progress
- Top 25 percent of all Texas schools in Closing Performance Gaps
- Distinction for Postsecondary Readiness
Our academic programs are rigorous and geared toward college readiness. Currently, students can take pre-AP (Advanced Placement)/pre-IB (International Baccalaureate) classes in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and foreign languages and can select electives such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), Concepts of Engineering and Technology, and Business Information Management. Harwood also offers several technology applications through the use of Smart Boards, computers, laptops, and Apple iPads, and many of these tools are used by teachers to integrate technology into the classrooms and enrich students’ learning experiences.
Tutoring sessions are offered daily from 7:45 – 8:00 a.m. and 3:15 – 3:45 p.m.
There are numerous opportunities for extracurricular participation at Harwood. Students are encouraged to express their school spirit by participating in our award-winning fine arts department, our elite athletic program, and/or our diverse offering of clubs and organizations on campus.
Harwood Junior High School is a place where students can reach their full potential as excellent, active citizens of their communities.