Family Status Change FAQ's
Qualifying events include:
• Marriage or Divorce
• Death of spouse/child
• Birth, adoption or gain legal guardianship of a child
• Spouse changes employment resulting in the loss or gain of employer provided coverage
• You, your spouse or child involuntarily loses other health insurance coverage
• Eligible/ineligible for Medicare/Medicaid
• Change in eligibility status of a dependent
• Reduction in hours of employment – if the reduction did not allow enough pay to deduct the benefits currently enrolled
• Judgment/decree/order for coverage of children
You must complete the appropriate enrollment forms for the plan(s) you want to sign up for and/or change. We will also need written documentation of the family status change. For example:
- Loss of Insurance Coverage - we will need a "Certificate of Creditable Coverage" from the previous health insurance carrier.
- Spouse gains employment - we will need a written letter on company letterhead indicating the hire date and the effective date of your insurance.
- Divorce - we will need a copy of the divorce decree.
- Marriage - we will need a copy of the marriage certificate.
- Legal Adoption - we will need a copy of the court paperwork.
- 2017-2018 Status Change Form (this form is located in Forms, Plans & Resources)
Don't forget to include your supporting documentation confirming you have a qualifying event change.