Community Resources for parents

Call 2-1-1 to find out if you are eligible for services

2-1-1 is a free, easy-to-remember phone number connecting callers with health and human services in their area. Knowledgeable staff will speak with you and answer your questions. You can call for assistance seven days a week, 24 hours a day or visit the site to find the HHSC benefits office closest to you.

When you call 2-1-1, you pick a language and then pick from 3 options:

Press 1 to learn about services in your area. such as:

    • Food
    • Housing
    • Child care
    • After-school programs
    • Senior services
    • Help after a disaster
    • Tax help

Press 2 to learn about state benefits, such as:

    • SNAP food benefits (used to be called food stamps)
    • Medicaid
    • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
    • Cash help for families (TANF)

Staff can talk with you Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Press 3 to report waste,fraud and abuse in state health and human services programs.

Staff can talk with you Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you can’t connect to 2-1-1, call us toll-free at 1-877-541-7905. You also can visit the 2-1-1 Texas website to find the phone number to your local 2-1-1 Area Information Center.

You might not be able to connect to 2-1-1 if:

  • You are calling from outside of Texas.
  • Your cell phone won’t dial 2-1-1.
  • You use voice-over-IP (use the Internet to make calls).


Medicaid is a federal program that provides comprehensive medical benefits to low income families, individuals who are medically needy, and individuals who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or certain other federal programs.

Most people who have a developmental disability are eligible for SSI unless their financial resources exceed the maximum allowed. (At age 18, parents’ income is no longer included in their financial resources, only the students’ personal income and assets are considered).

To learn more about disability benefit applications, go to

The Social Security Administration determines SSI eligibility.

The Texas Health and Human Services Commission determines Medicaid eligibility only after a person does not meet SSI eligibility.

What are Medicaid Waivers?

Texas Medicaid Waiver Programs are available for disabled Texans of all ages, with a diagnosis of mental retardation, autism or pervasive developmental disorder (Some programs require that a diagnosis of a developmental disability be confirmed during the developmental years).

The waiver programs allow the states to offer Medicaid funded services and supports to persons in their own home or in other home-like settings in the community. These waivers do not look at the parent’s income but are based on the applicants’ income and resources.

Because the demand for community-based services and supports often outweighs available resources, applicants’ names may be placed on a chronological and dated interest list until services are available. Applicants are placed on these lists on a first-come, first-served basis. When a person’s name comes to the top of the list, he or she will be contacted by a caseworker who will then determine eligibility.

At that time, persons must meet disability criteria for admission to that specific program; call each waiver for more information.

Some needs may be met through other programs until an applicant’s name comes to the top of the list.

Medicaid Waiver Programs and Services

Examples of services offered by some of the following programs are: case management, adaptive aids, minor home modifications, counseling, therapies, dental care, nursing, medical supplies, residential assistance, respite, day habilitation and supported employment.

Call each number to put your child on the waiting / interest list.

Home and Community-based Services (HCS) and Texas Home Living (TxHmL)

Call : Kim Lambert 817-569-4140

This program provides services to eligible individuals who live with their family, in their own home, in a foster/companion care setting, or in a residence with no more than four individuals who receive services.

Community Living and Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)

Call: 877-438-5658

For persons with a disability, other than mental retardation, which occurred before age 22, and that affects their ability to function in daily life. Services offered as an alternative to placement in a facility.

Community Based Alternatives (CBA)

Call: 888-337-6377

CBA provides home and community-based services to aged and disabled adults (21 and older) as an alternative to institutional care in a nursing facility.

Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)

Call: 877-438-5658

Respite services, home modifications and adaptive aids for medically involved children (under age 21) allowing them to live at home.

Deaf- Blind Multiple Disability

Call : 877-438-5658

For people aged 18 or older who are deaf and blind, have one other disability, and need 24 hour support. Services range from residential group homes to support for individuals who live at home.

To compare Medicaid waiver services go to:

Mental Health Mental Retardation of Tarrant County

MHMR of Tarrant County -

Overview of Mental Retardation Services

Mental Retardation Services provides services and support for eligible persons with mental retardation or pervasive development disorder in individual, family, and foster homes as well as in alternative living residences and small group homes. Vocational Services and supports are provided through job placements in businesses throughout the community and at training and affirmative business sites.

General Eligibility for Services

  • Must live in Tarrant County
  • Must be age 3 years or older
  • Must have a diagnosis of mental retardation, autism, or pervasive developmental disorder
  • Must meet criteria for admission to the specific program
  • Services may be paid by outside sources such as specific Medicaid programs, general revenue from the State of Texas and/or private pay.

Mental Retardation Services of Tarrant County is contracted/licensed to provide Home & Community Based Services (HCS), Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF), and Texas Home Living Services (TxHmL). For more specific information about these programs please call (817)569-4000.

What is Supplemental Security Income?

SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. The Social Security Administration (SSA) administers this program. SSA pays monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older. Blind or disabled children, as well as adults, can get SSI benefits.

How is SSI different from Social Security?

  • Many people who are eligible for SSI may also be entitled to receive Social Security benefits. In fact, the application for SSI is also an application for Social Security benefits
  • Unlike Social Security benefits, SSI benefits are not based on your prior work or a family member's prior work.
  • SSI is financed by general funds of the U.S. Treasury--personal income taxes, corporate and other taxes. Social Security taxes withheld under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) or the Self Employment Contributions Act (SECA) do not fund the SSI program.
  • In most States, SSI beneficiaries also can get Medicaid (medical assistance) to pay for hospital stays, doctor bills, prescription drugs, and other health costs.
  • SSI beneficiaries may also be eligible for food stamps in every State except California. In some States, an application for SSI benefits also serves as an application for food assistance.
  • SSI benefits are paid on the first of the month.
  • To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have "limited" income and resources.

In addition, to get SSI, you must:

––be a resident of the United States, and
––not be absent from the country for more than 30 days;
––be either a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain
categories of eligible non–citizens.

For more information go to the SSI website:

Social Security's Redbook

The Red Book serves as a general reference source about the employment related provisions of the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs.

While the Red Book is primarily for educators, advocates, rehabilitation professionals and counselors who serve people with disabilities, it can also serve as a self-help guide for Social Security applicants and beneficiaries.

The SS Red Book is available in English and Spanish at

Additional Information Links

The ARC of Greater Tarrant County - - 817-877-1474 (Links for parents, info about specific conditions, community living, transition and more)

The ARC of NE Tarrant County - - 817-834-7700 (SALT meets at their site which is Self-Advocate Leaders of Today for age 14 and above)

Parent support -
Texas Parent to Parent - - 866-896-6001 (internet, phone and email listserve support available)

Our Special Children, program of The ARC of Greater Tarrant Co - 817-877-1474 (Spanish - Las Familias)

Free Water Activities
Metroplex Adaptive Water sports (Fort Worth) -

Point Extravaganza (Dallas) -

Finding Help in Texas

The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC)

Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS)

Social Security

The Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)

Texas Commission for the Blind (TCB)

Texas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (TCDHH)

Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA)

UCP of Tarrant County 817/332-7171 The Department of State Health Services (DSHS)

Children’s Health Insurance program (CHIP)

Selective Service (Required for all males ages 18-25 regardless of disability)

Driver’s License/State ID cards

Support Services Available to HEB ISD Families

JPS/HEB ISD Child Health Care Center

Call for an appointment - 817-399-3500
7:30 am- 7:30 pm
1100 Raider Drive, Euless
With insurance--usual co-pay
If no insurance-- $5

HEB ISD Family Support Service Office

Contact - 817-399-3470 –Bilingual staff available
3115 Pipeline Road, Euless
Next door to the JPS/HEB Child Health Care Center
Hours: Monday – Friday - 9:00 – 2:30
The office assists families with:

  • Medicaid – Has the application and will fax it over instead of mailing it
  • Food Stamp Applications –Every Wednesday by appointment only - Call 817-399-3470
  • Emergency food- 1 time each month
  • Other non financial services

HEB Clothes Closet

Located just south of the JPS/HEB Health Care Center off Raider Drive by the soccer fields. Contact the school nurse to obtain clothing and or school supplies for your students. Clothing may be received once per semester.

Contact Us
Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD
1849 Central Dr.
Bedford, TX 76022
Phone: 817.283.4461
powered by finalsite