Frequently Asked Questions

About Elementary Schools of Choice Application
For the 2019 – 2020 School Year

1. Who is eligible to apply for a Schools of Choice program?

Any student may apply to the following designated Schools of Choice programs (in or out of district). Please review the program specific Application and Lottery Process Document.

Elementary Schools of Choice:

  • Spanish Immersion (Online Application and Lottery for students entering Grade 1 only)
  • Suzuki Strings(Grades K-6)
  • World Languages (Grade 1-6)

2. How do I apply to a Schools of Choice program for my student?

You may complete the appropriate Elementary Schools of Choice application at

If you want to apply for an In-District transfer (in the event you are wait listed for a Schools of Choice program), you must complete the Elementary District Transfer Application in addition to your Elementary Schools of Choice Application(s) during the transfer window.

3. When can I apply for a Schools of Choice Program?

The application/transfer window is open from January 3 – March 8, 2019.

4. What is the process the District uses to determine the result of my request for a transfer?

If there are more applicants than openings, a lottery is conducted to determine student placement. Please review the program specific Application and Lottery Process Document.

5. How will I know the result of my Schools of Choice application?

Results of the application process/lottery will be emailed by April 30, 2019.

6. What happens to my Schools of Choice transfer if I exit the program?

Exiting a Schools of Choice program for any reason will initiate administrative procedures to return your child back to their school of residence along with any affected siblings.

7. What happens to my Schools of Choice transfer if I move outside the of HED ISD district boundaries?

A resident student actively enrolled in a Schools of Choice program, who moves out of the District during the school year may be permitted to continue at the current campus, in the current program. An HEB ISD Transfer Application will need to be completed.

Students living OUT-OF-DISTRICT must apply for their transfer annually during the transfer window.

8. Is bus transportation provided?

No. The District does not provide transportation for a student attending a school outside his or her attendance zone.

9. What happens after 6th grade?

To continue Schools of Choice (SOC) opportunities in junior high, you must apply to continue studies in a corresponding junior high school program during the transfer window of the student’s 6th grade year:

  • Spanish Immersion corresponds with Advanced Spanish at Bedford JH / Harwood JH
  • Suzuki Strings corresponds with Orchestra at Central JH
  • World Languages (elementary) corresponds with World Languages (junior high) at Central JH

** If a transfer student violates the district’s rules and regulations, found in the Student Code of Conduct and the Campus Handbook, the district may take that conduct into account in approving a transfer for the following school year.

Contact Us
Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD
1849 Central Dr.
Bedford, TX 76022
Phone: 817.283.4461
powered by finalsite