Winter Break: HEB ISD’s COVID-19 Protocols
(This information was also emailed to parents on December 16, 2020.)
Winter Break: HEB ISD’s COVID-19 Protocols
HEB ISD’s Winter Break for students is Thursday, December 17 through Monday, January 4. (Winter Break for most HEB ISD staff is Saturday, December 19 through Sunday, January 3.) During Winter Break, HEB ISD will not be collecting, tracing or reporting student and staff COVID cases. Our school nurses and staff need the break physically and mentally to rest and spend time with their families. Tarrant County Public Health has agreed they will handle contact tracing during school closures. If you have questions about COVID-19, please contact the Tarrant County COVID-19 Hotline at 817-248-6299.
Positive COVID-19 Case Reporting
During the break, all staff and students who test positive for COVID-19 will need to report it to Tarrant County Public Health at www.tarrantcounty.com/schoolreport . Tarrant County Public Health will be handling all contact tracing directly with families during the school holiday.
If you test positive for COVID-19 during the Winter Break, please do not return to any HEB ISD building or facility in January unless you have completed a 10-day isolation. Instead, notify your campus principal and school nurse (or supervisor) by email of your positive case. An HEB ISD nurse or staff member will be in contact with you for further information and direction when school reopens.
HEB ISD follows the travel recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). To learn more about requirements following any Winter Break travel, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
Health Screening & Case/Symptom Notifications - January 5 (students) and January 4 (most employees)
Before returning to any HEB ISD facility, all staff and families should self-screen to verify they:
- are symptom free,
- are not a household contact of a person with COVID symptoms, and
- have not tested positive or been a close contact to anyone with COVID-19 before returning to any HEB ISD facility.
Students: HEB ISD is asking for all student lab-positive COVID cases to be emailed directly to your campus principal and school nurse on Monday, January 4. If you have COVID-19 symptoms on Monday, January 4, and will not be coming to school on Tuesday, January 5, please also email your campus principal and school nurse.
Staff: HEB ISD is asking for all staff lab-positive COVID cases to be emailed directly to your campus principal and school nurse (or supervisor) on Sunday, January 3. If you have COVID-19 symptoms on Sunday, January 3, and will not be coming to work on Monday, January 3, please also email your campus principal and school nurse (or supervisor).
HEB ISD will be recording any staff and student cases from over the break on the COVID-19 dashboard when schools reopen in January.
Extracurricular Participation During Break
There may be extracurricular activities that are scheduled during the Winter Break. For students who participate in extracurricular activities, please notify your coach or director and stay at home if you have been exposed to COVID-19, if you COVID-19 symptoms, if you are waiting to be tested, if you are waiting for test results, or if you have tested positive. Lab-positive cases will be updated in the dashboard when HEB ISD reopens. You must also contact the Tarrant County Health Department at www.tarrantcounty.com/schoolreport to report your case.
What to Do If You Test Positive for COVID-19 Over the Break
- Report your case to the Tarrant County Health Department at www.tarrantcounty.com/schoolreport .
- Email your campus principal and school nurse on Monday, January 4, notifying them of your lab-positive case and do not return to school until you have completed isolation or been cleared by an HEB ISD nurse. (HEB ISD Employees, please notify your supervisor by Sunday, January 3.)
What to Do If You Have Been Exposed to COVID-19 or Have COVID-19 Symptoms Before Returning to School
- Email your campus principal and school nurse notifying them that you have been exposed or have COVID-19 symptoms and will not be at school on Tuesday, January 5. (HEB ISD Employees, please notify your supervisor.)
Changes Based on New Guidance from CDC and TCPH
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Tarrant County Public Health have provided updated guidance which HEB ISD will implement after Winter Break:
- Schools will no longer plan to take all students’ temperature before the students enter the building.
- Families are still expected to monitor students’ temperature at home. If a student experiences a fever (temperature of 100.0 or greater), the student must not go to school, and the parent should email the school principal or school nurse.
- School staff may still take students’ temperature while the student is at school. Students with a fever will still be isolated from other students until a parent or guardian can take them home.
- The quarantine period will be 10 days for people who are a “close contact” of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. (Additional information will be provided when staff or students & parents are notified that they have been identified as a “close contact.”)