- Hurst Euless Bedford Independent School District
- Public Health & Disease Information
The new CDC guidelines apply to any flu virus circulating during the 2009-2010 school year. These guidelines recognize the need to balance the risks of illness among students and staff with the benefits of keeping students in school.
Action Steps for Parents:
1. Practice good hand hygiene
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water before eating, after using the restroom, and especially after coughing & sneezing.
- Teach your children to wash their hands with soap and water at least 20 seconds (enough time to sing Happy Birthday twice).
2. Teach your child to cover the nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Use tissues when available
- If not, teach them to sneeze or cough into their elbow or shoulder / "Cough and Cover".
3. If your child is sick, please keep them home at least 24 hours after there is no longer a fever greater than 100 degrees F without the use of fever reducing medications.
4. Get your family vaccinated for the seasonal flu and the H1N1 flu when available.
Action Steps for Schools
- Educate and encourage students, teachers, and staff to practice good hand hygiene. Provide adequate soap, water and paper towels.
- Educate and encourage students and staff to cover their mouth and nose with a tissue. "Cough and cover" using elbow or shoulder instead of their hands when tissues are not available.
- Ensure that critical areas such as bathrooms and health clinics are thoroughly cleaned daily.
- Stay in close communication with the Tarrant County Health Department monitor influenza cases, and make appropriate modifications to HEB procedures as necessary.